Dishwashing liquid, laundry liquid/powder, and dishwasher powder all have one thing in common - they are used to clean items we either put in our mouth or on our body.
This cold hard fact should be enough to make you want to think twice about the brand you use, especially if you have children.
Mum and I tested several natural brands of the above before we decided on the current brand we stock. Whatever we chose had to be economical, not too strong smelling, as little ingredients as possible, and it had to be effective.
There was literally a hands down winner in all four of these prerequisites, and that was Kin Kin Naturals, a family run business in the Kin Kin in the Noosa Hinterland.
Felix, half of the brains behind Kin Kin, is a PhD-qualified formulator who used to work for OMO, once we knew this we were sure their products would be the bees knees!
Their products are free of any toxic ingredients, and are safe for gardens, greywater, and septic tanks.
This is due to the following:
- plant (coconut) and mineral based
- free of phosphate and high alkalinity
- at least 95% less sodium than regular detergents
- Sodium ('salt') is damaging for both soil and plants, causing clogging of soil and the dehydration of plants. The majority of Sodium salt used in detergents is used as just a filler. The remainder can often be replaced - as Kin Kin do - by Potassium-based alternatives which are actually beneficial for plants and soil.
- On average 18 kg Sodium salt per year ends up in gardens or the wider Australian environment for every Australian household using a regular laundry powder. Using Kin Kin naturals, the Sodium salt loading is reduced to only 100g per year, a much safer level.
- completely and readily biodegradable
- Kin Kin's full products and each of their ingredients individually exceed Australian standard AS4351
- this also means they do not use the petrochemical surfactant called 'LAS' (linear alkylbenzene sulphonate) which is poorly biodegradable under anaerobic (low oxygen) conditions that may occur in septic systems and soil.
We stock all the Kin Kin Naturals range which includes: dishwasher powder, laundry liquid bottles and refills, dishwashing liquid bottles and refills, laundry soaker, and delicates wash.
We've had positive customer feedback about the whole range, particularly the dishwasher powder and laundry soaker. Many, but not all, are skeptical that an eco-friendly cleaner will work just as well as a standard cleaner, and are pleasantly surprised when it actually exceeds their expectations. It's sad that this is the general belief, but we're hoping that with such effective and thoughtful brands like Kin Kin available, over time this belief will drastically reduce and people will feel more confident in reaching for an eco-friendly product.